3/21/2009

420 FRIENDLY

Today I start my work on this blog, which has no claim, except to work as (mis) information for those who are interested in to know how my life is going in the coolest city of the United States. So, join us and enjoy your time here!

Well, today turned a week that I'm living in San Francisco, and looking for apartments and / or rooms for rent, I have faced in almost 90% of the ads available on Craiglist with the damn 420 (pronounce it FourTwenty) friendly.

At first I didn’t pay attention on this expression and completely disregarded the 420 friendly expression when I saw it in front of me. However, a few days ago I decided to ask: What hell is 420? And ... well, I discovered that 420 is both a police code and a slang for nothing less than Marijuana.

Therefore, its not very difficult to reach the conclusion on how common is the use of marijuana in SanFran. Considering its past hippie (whose culture is still present in neighborhoods such as Haight) and a constant aroma of insurgence in the air, this city is the paradise for a 420 friendly.

You can see people smoking in the streets in almost all hours of the day, and in some districts is also very easy to find the product being sold on the street (just get up the corners of the blocks of the Mission St and at Market St next to the Civic Center to demonstrate what I'm saying).

Oh, and the cops? This is also another interesting point of SanFran, it seems that the police are not really interested in this subject, because many times I have seen people smoking next to them and they don't even notice. Well, San Francisco really seems to be a unique city! See you in the next chapter.

No comments: